Go to Top

Manufacturing in Nevada: Focus on Education, Jobs and the Future

No one with an eye on this state’s economic future should minimize the importance of manufacturing which, like so many business sectors in Nevada and nationwide, has taken a licking and kept on ticking.

“The manufacturing sector is still reeling from the recession,” says Frank Woodbeck, director of the department of Employment Training and Rehabilitation (DETR) for the State of Nevada in Carson City. “The industry added employment in 2011, 2012 and so far in 2013, but still has a long way to go before reaching the recovery mark.”

According to Woodbeck, manufacturing accounts for 90 percent of Nevada’s $2.37 billion export value. Mining, agriculture, information and other industries account for the remaining 10 percent. The industry has what is called a high jobs multiplier, meaning that a job in manufacturing creates spin-off jobs elsewhere in the economy. One reason for this is that manufacturing’s average wage is relatively high: the average weekly wage for all industries in Nevada is $844; it is $995 for manufacturing.

Read full article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *